Wednesday 11 February 2015

My Top Three Great Coffees in Edinburgh

I like feeling awake - so much so that I'd go to lengths of drinking something that makes me more awake on a daily basis - that something being coffee. Luckily, Edinburgh has quite a spectacular coffee scene, so finding a good one is certainly not difficult. But where to go? I have a top three at the moment, however it changes quite often through recommendations from others and trying new places on a whim - nevertheless the following cafés serve some of the best coffee you can get.



Fortitude Coffee Merchants

Blink and you'll miss it - Fortitude is a tiny coffee shop situated on the busy Queen Street, however, despite the huge amounts of traffic passing by outside, Fortitude is serene, quiet and calming. It's a fantastic looking café, from the simple wooden furniture to the clipboards on the wall, someone that understands interior design had a say in how this café was going to look. You just know the coffee is going to be good - and it was. They use Workshop coffee, which apparently roasts the 'sweetest, cleanest and freshest coffee' you can get your hands on. This is clear - their flat white is quite brilliant and less bitter than most. Also, the service is extremely friendly and helpful - they even took the time to help me choose a bag of coffee for home, taking into account the flavours I enjoy. Turns out their recommendation was perfect, and this didn't surprise me. They also serve some amazing looking cakes and pastries, which for some reason I did not try whilst I was there (silly) - I was probably too busy perusing all the coffee making equipment they have on sale there, which amazed me and confused me at the same time. Despite my confusion, there's no doubt in my mind that Fortitude is one of the best places in the city to pick up a coffee.

Leo's Beanery

What a fantastic wee café this is - probably one of my favourite places full stop. Situated on the edge of the Edinburgh New Town towards Stockbridge (Howe Street), Leo's Beanery is a fantastic looking family run café, offering quite possibly the best breakfast in the city. Everyone in there is extraordinarily friendly and desperate to please, and this is clear in the quality of their food and drink. The coffee is made with Artisan Roast beans - a well known brand in Scotland, and for good reason. I would guess that I've had at least 100 coffees from Leo's, and every single one of them has been top quality. Their coffee is fruitier than others, offering a freshness rather than a heavy bitterness. Also, they do an excellent brownie, so make sure to order one when you try this café.

Cairngorm Coffee Co. 

Situated in central Edinburgh on Frederick Street, Cairngorm offers a damn good cup of coffee. Much like Fortitude, you could easily walk past it without noticing, so make sure to look out for this cosy café just off George Street heading down to Stockbridge. Their welcome is warm, especially since you're immediately surrounded by an amazing array of cakes. The interior is brilliantly rustic - bare stone walls   surround untreated wooden tables and small adjustable stools. It's quite dark, so it's the perfect place to spend a cold, rainy Edinburgh day. They use Mr. Eion's coffee - beans roasted on site in his shop at the bottom of Stockbridge (well worth a visit) - and it is excellent. Quite a lot stronger than what a lot of Edinburgh folk are used to, Cairngorm's coffee might surprise you at first with its strength, but you'll slowly get used to it as it warms you throughout. An undoubtedly brilliant and unique brew. Again, the service is very friendly, and they do a mean toastie. Well worth a visit.



Is there anywhere else you would recommend? Let me know and I'll be sure to give it a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment