Friday 13 February 2015

Review: Leo's Beanery

After getting my haircut in the Stockbridge side of New Town Edinburgh, I decided to grab a bite to eat at one of Edinburgh's most established cafés - good old Leo's Beanery. Now I've been here quite a few times, and it delivers time and time again in terms of good coffee and tasty food. The menu, however, has been altered slightly, so I thought it best to review these changes (great excuse for going out for lunch). It was a right dreich day - an 'Edinburgh day', so going to a cosy café suited. As usual, it was lovely and warm, with a continuous bustle that is extraordinarily relaxing. The manageress welcomed me and made sure to find me a table that suited, despite the place being relatively busy. I don't know whether it's because I'm a regular - but I'm sure they've always been as friendly before my regularity was confirmed. I always manage to forget how nicely decorated and furnished this café is. Wooden tables and chairs are surrounded by calming light blue walls with random lights, books and pictures scattered throughout. It has a country cottage feel - and in a city centre that countryside feeling is often craved. The counter has a display fridge that shows off all the cakes that are made through the back by a very talented baker, which often tempt you no matter how full you may be. Put simply, the ambience is quite perfect - much like the coffee.


If you've read my top three coffees in Edinburgh post (see here) you'll know that I adore Leo's coffee. It's amazingly fresh and quite fruity, a really quite spectacular cup of coffee. They also have an extremely talented barista, as you can probably tell by the intricate latté art. They put two shots of espresso into every coffee, so that's a plus. Furthermore, They have an extensive list of loose leaf teas if you'd prefer a more hydrating option - the Moroccan mint tea being especially tasty. It is a café, and there is an undoubted focus on hot drinks, however the food far from disappoints. 

If you like eggs - it seems Leo's Beanery is the place to come. They offer a number of breakfast options, from their famous 'croque-mon-scone' (melted Mull cheddar and ham on a homemade scone) to porridge with stewed spiced apples - however most of their dishes are egg based. They serve the classics, poached eggs on toast, Benedict, Florentine and Royale. Today I went for the Eggs Royale, two poached eggs on top of smoked salmon and an English muffin, covered in Hollandaise sauce. Prior to trying this dish, I avoided anything with Hollandaise - often overly rich and salty, I must've had a few bad experiences with the sauce in the past (it's a hard life). However, this café's Hollandaise is quite different. Light, sweet and citrusy - the sauce pairs perfectly with the deeply flavoured smoked salmon. The English muffin is lightly toasted and buttered, adding a delightful richness to the dish. Oh and the eggs - poached to perfection, the yolk oozes out as soon as you dig in. I've been going to this café for a few years now, and I've never seen an overcooked egg. Quite an impressive record in my books. Overall, this is a classic done to perfection, and they certainly don't skimp on the salmon. 
As full as I was I had to pick up one of their famous brownies. It's so gooey and deeply chocolatey, I often pop in to Leo's just for a brownie, and if you give it a try you would understand why. This is an excellent café, and somewhat of a seasoned pro in the Edinburgh coffee shop scene. The practice shows, as the brunch/lunch time service is a well oiled machine - despite it being full, I was served without trouble. I do not have a negative word to say about Leo's Beanery - it's simply that good. Unsurprisingly, I highly recommend it. 


Café information
23A Howe Street, Edinburgh
EH3 6TF
0131 556 8403
  

2 comments:

  1. Love finding new places, and surprisingly never been (or 'bean') to Leo's!

    ReplyDelete